Sunday, July 8, 2012

Urban Flair in A-Squared

Hello hello!  For my first post and my first city, I decided to go big with popular college town, Ann Arbor.  I've always loved Ann Arbor for it's artsy nature and perfect balance of city life and suburban ease.  The fashion downtown reflects this, even in the blazing heat of the summer sun.

Clockwise from top: A vintage store, Urban Outfitters mannequins, American Apparel's window display, more looks at UO.

The most popular stores by far are international franchises Urban Outfitters and American Apparel- the latter a bit controversial with their racy ads and overpriced, American-made goods but also known for creating comfy, colorful basics, while the former has been keeping hipsters clothed since before the term even hit pop culture.  In addition to these is the national chain boutique Pitaya, which showcases a plethora of flowing, synthetic blouses and trendy dresses.  Also in the area are a few vintage and second-hand stores- overlooked by all except the budget-conscious and most dedicated vintage fanatics on the hunt for hidden gems- and a handful of locally-owned shops whose wares range from designer goods (as can be seen by the Marc by Marc Jacobs iPad case proudly displayed in one front window) to University of Michigan themed clothing.


I did my part to help the economy, partaking in a bit of consumerism (something tells me that my choice of blog theme will result in more spending... we'll see how I resist the temptation from week to week!), but it was almost hard to do with the various well-dressed shoppers that surrounded me.   Urban Outfitters was definitely one of the most crowded shopping destinations, and not simply because it's air conditioning was a relief from the nearly 100-degree weather.  This girl in particular caught my attention.

A perfect example of an easy, chic summer outfit.  Skirts and dresses seem to outnumber shorts 2-to-1, most likely for the same reason I favor them- they're not only easier to slip on in the morning, but also keep you from feeling confined by tight-fitting fabric.  This is especially a relief on days where not sweating is not an option.  Hers is a flattering a-line in a fun pop of color, kept casual by pairing it with neutrals.  The cross-shoulder bag is not only practical but very on-trend.

My favorite look of the day was, by-far, this girl I spotted on the sidewalk.  Her dress is absolutely perfect- a color that can be worn with anything (and by anyone, for that matter) and a classic shape, contrasted by the playful cutouts that make a subtle, fashion-forward statement.  While the outfit as a whole is relatively simple, all of it's elements come together in a very striking look.  I also love the bright kelly green of her jacket, which is perfect because it adds a new focal point for when the back cutouts are covered.

Overall though, I'd have to say I couldn't have wished for a better place to start my blog!  Ann Arbor has a very defined look, especially amongst the college-aged women who flock to clean lines, flattering silhouettes, bohemian details, and a surprise shot of color.  These girls seem to have their style down to a t, and I can't wait to see what next week's city has in store for me!  Until then, keep it classy :)
Two more great examples of the quintessential cool Ann Arbor look.

No comments:

Post a Comment